At South Petherwin, our role is to ensure that your child achieves the very best they can, no matter what barrier there may be with their learning. Approximately one in five children will have special education needs and disabilities (SEND) at some time during their school career – this may mean having a learning difficulty and/or physical difficulty that makes it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age.

We have a team of staff who may be involved in supporting your child at South Petherwin. These include:

  • Your child’s teacher – your first port of contact for any concerns. They are available to you at the end of the day and often through booked appointments and manage the day to day provision and education for your child.
  • Teaching Assistants – who support all pupils in the class. We have several additional TAs who help support groups with their learning and/or maybe allocated to individual children with specific special educational needs.
  • Licensed Thrive Practitioners - Mrs Gorman and Miss Wills 
  • SENCo – Miss Wills who coordinates the provision of SEND in school and liaises with external agencies.
  • Assistant SENCo and Autism Champion - Miss Harris
  • One of the School Governors, Mr Cockle, who works with and monitors the role of the SENCo in school.
  • Headteacher – Ms Mills has the day to day management of all aspects of the school, including special educational needs provision.

Children within school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by the class teacher or may involve other staff in the school, staff who visit from Cornwall's central services or staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy Service.

The Local Authority has special arrangements for assessing children and deciding which facilities are appropriate for the needs of each individual child.  Parents and Carers may request that an assessment be made.  A formal assessment may result in an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) being issued. Your child's EHCP will indicate exactly what provision they will receive.