Writing at South Petherwin
Learning today to change tomorrow - from the earliest stages, it is important that children understand that writing is a means of expression and a communication tool.
At South Petherwin we understand that the teaching of writing is effective when children see the use in it; when there is real, authentic purpose; when there is an audience that authenticates their voice, whether themselves or another reader. We aim to create opportunities for writing inspired by meaningful events and experiences in texts and real life. This provides the children with ways in to talking and writing about their own feelings, experiences and interests and, with purpose in mind, begin to think about their audience and adapt their tone accordingly.
The Power of Reading and Writing
Writing at South Petherwin Primary School
WHAT WE KNOW WORKS:
1. Understand the role reading plays in developing writers and the value of being immersed in high quality literature
2. Ensure children have experience of a breadth of texts including those that are visual and digital
3. Provide a range of meaningful opportunities to write for real purposes and audiences and to respond to writing as a reader
4. Develop an understanding of the craft of writing by engaging meaningfully with professional authors and their processes
5. Understand and model the craft and process of writing authentically
6. Support children to identify as writers and to develop their own authentic voice
7. Give children time and space to develop their own ideas in writing
8. Use creative teaching approaches that build imagination and give time for oral rehearsal
9. Ensure the teaching of phonics, grammar and spelling is embedded in context
10. Celebrate writing through authentic publication and presentation across platforms